Thursday, March 29, 2012

Theme Day Thursday with My Cricut Craftroom!

Hello Everyone!
At My Cricut Craftroom, it is Theme Day Thursday! That is the day where we are asked to make a project that is either from a particular cartridge or that is about a particular theme. I chose to go the "cartridge route" today - so that required me to use the cartridge
"Create A Critter".
(This is a great cartridge with so many cute and fun designs on it! If you have kids or craft for children at all, it is a MUST have in my opinion. If you do not have it already, Erica has it available in her shop at www.shop.ericasroom.com.

<span class=
Since Easter is coming up quickly, I decided to make an Easter Card for my granddaughter Aubrey. I used the cute little chick on page 53 with the all the layers at 4 inches. I added googly eyes to the chick as well.
I wanted to make an egg so that I could make the chick removable, so I cut only the lower part of the egg shell on page 53. I used my Cuttlebug and a brand new embossing folder that I just got (it is by Sizzix and is called the Peppermint Twists and Scallops set). I also cut the shadow for the egg. I adhered the shadow to the base of the card but when I adhered the top layer of the shell - I used foam squares that I cut down into little pieces so it would pop up and allow a place for the Chickie to slide into.

I cut a frame from the Elegant Edges Cartridge and ran it through my Cuttlebug with the Swiss Dot embossing folder. I find myself using that embossing plate over and over for so many projects - it is very versatile! I used the Gyspy to manipulate the size of the cut so it fit as I wanted it on the card base. I chose that particular cut because I loved the way I could fit the egg shape into the bottom curve!
I decided I would add yet another layer of texture by running the card base through the Cuttlebug as well (does using the Cuttlebug count as exercise??) this time using Provo Craft's Polka Dot embossing folder.
I then wanted a sentiment on the front but didn't want it to get in the way when Aubrey (who is almost 4!) would take the Chickie in and out of the egg shell. So I decided I would create a label holder (from the Art Philosophy cartridge, on page 35, again sized with the Gyspy). I attached it with a brad so it can swing up and out of the way and back into place again and again!
I wanted to add some color and decoration to the inside to make it a little more special, so I layered some colored cardstock (same colors from the front of the card) and trimmed one of the strips with a border punch. I cut and Easter Egg from A Child's Year and created a shadow for it with the Gyspy by just sizing up to the size I thought looked perfect. I typed my sentiment on the computer and adhered all the pieces inside the card!
As I assembled the card, I inked the edges of almost everything to help it stand out
a little bit more.

Please visit My Cricut Craftroom to see what the rest of the design team members have to share with you today!
Thank you for stopping by and I read each and every comment! Consider following my blog and leave a note and I will return the favor and follow you as well!
Have a great weekend!!

16 comments:

Kathy Salido said...

So cute Teresa!! I love how you made the Chickie removable!!!
Kathy
My Cricut Craft Room Design Team
http://3spoileddogs.blogspot.com/

Homespun Elegance said...

Very Cute Teresa! I need this cast! Still not believing I don't have it!!

xoxoxox

Jess @ www.homespunelegance.blogspot.com

Monique Mixon said...

Teresa, this is so cute. I love it. And I do believe that using the CuttleBug is considered exercise.

Monqiue ~ http://mixonthememories.blogspot.com/

Josie0602 said...

Very very cute Teresa!!!
DT sister
Tracy
http://scrappininthewoods.blogspot.com

Josie0602 said...

Very very cute Teresa!!

Tracy
http://scrappininthewoods.blogspot.com

ScrapMyWay said...

Very sweet especially the embossing. Best part....the chickie is removable and I'm sure she will do just that!!! Glad you posted on FB so we could get a chance to see it.
TFS
Creative Wishes,
Claire S.
DT My Cricut Craft Room
www.scrapmyway.blogspot.com

Ava Fernandez said...

Teresa, I just love this card, the little chick off of this cartridge is so sweet. Thank you for sharing
Ava DT Sister

Jenny R said...

This card is so adorable. I love all of the different texture you used.

Jenny R said...

This is such a cute card. I love the colors and all of the texture!

ClaireR said...

CUTE card, I really love the bright colors, so much fun! The embossing really gives such great dimension. btw, where is the sentiment from?
TFS!
Claire R, dt sista
My Cricut Craftroom DTM

Anonymous said...

Aubrey will love her special card from Grandma ( her very young grandma). It should provide a lot of fun showing her friends how the chick can be removed and placed back into the egg. Many extra steps always make your designs special!

Laurie said...

Super cute card!

Naomi Edwards said...

Ahhh!!! This is awesome, a removable chick , how clever! Love all the embossing and thank you for explaining how you did it! I am a new follower!

Rebekah said...

Too Cute! Love all the embossing you did on the card. So springy :-)

Thanks for linking up today!

http://craftyteachermom.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I decided not to be ananomous and since Im just a Oakley I will say that your site is pretty cool .Well done Teresa

ScrapMyWay said...

Aubrey is so very lucky! It's adorable and I must say your new blog make over is FABULOUS!!!!!!
Bright and Springy and the flowers look gorgeous!
TFS
Creative Wishes,
Claire S.
www.scrapmyway.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!